- This event has passed.
Mexico Week: Día De Muertos at Rockefeller Center 2022
October 27, 2022 - November 2, 2022
For the second consecutive year Mexico Week: Día De Muertos will take place at Rockefeller Center in celebration of Mexico’s heritage and culture. New Yorkers can engage in Mexican art, food, culture, music, and education hosted by The Consulate General of Mexico in New York City, the Mexican Cultural Institute, Museo de Art Moderno, and Rockefeller Center, with generous support from Tequila Casa Dragones, and INTERprotección.
This Día de Muertos celebration incorporates traditional and modern art by prominent Mexican artists that will be on display for the public to enjoy.
- An ofrenda (an altar that honors lost loved ones) on Center Plaza, presented by Tequila Casa Dragones and INTERprotección with the support of Museo de Arte Moderno. The ofrenda will honor Mexican modern sculptors as presented in the book MONUMENTAL: The Public Dimension of Sculpture 1927-1979 by Pedro Reyes.
- Large Jaguar & Quetzalcoatl sculptures by Cesar Menchaca to accompany the Center Plaza ofrenda.
- Catrina sculptures (skeleton figures synonymous with Dia de Muertos) by Cesar Menchaca will be on view to all Top of the Rock ticket holders..
- An exhibition will be displayed in memory of the 170th Anniversary of Mexican artist, José Guadalupe Posada (1852-1913). Presented by the Consulate General of Mexico in New York and its Cultural Institute in alliance with Posada’s Art Foundation, this exhibit will be on display From October 19th to November 2nd at 10 Rockefeller Plaza.
- A public exhibition of the book MONUMENTAL: The public dimension of sculpture 1927-1979, by Pedro Reyes. The exhibit will feature the 383-page visual and critical history of modern sculpture in Mexico featuring 29 essays and 13 interviews. Organized by the Museo of Arte Moderno in Mexico City.
In addition to the art, New Yorkers can visit a Tianguis, or open-air market, featuring authentic Mexican food, handcrafted artisanal goods, textiles, and Casa Dragones Tequila.
The Tianguis will be open on Center Plaza October 28th – October 30th, 11am to 10pm; and October 31st – November 2nd, 4 – 10pm.
Featured chefs and artisans include:
- Tequila Casa Dragones will personalize your own Casa Dragones Joven bottles and educate the public on the art of sipping tequilas.
- La Contenta
- La Newyorkina
- South Philly Barbacoa
- Tienda de El Charro
- Don Paco López, Panadería
- Carla Fernández will have select fashions available for purchase that exemplify the textile legacy of indigenous and mestizo communities in Mexico.
- Pedro Reyes new book: MONUMENTAL
Recap from last year!