ARTECHOUSE kicks off its 2021 exhibition season with a collaboration with renowned fractal artist Julius Horsthuis for an Immersive Audio-Visual Journey called Geometric Properties.
ARTECHOUSE, the nation’s first innovative digital art destination with locations in Washington, DC, New York City, and Miami Beach, opens its 2021 NYC exhibition season with Geometric Properties by Julius Horsthuis, an award-winning visual and fractal artist based out of Amsterdam. The immersive audio-visual installation is the latest in the ARTECHOUSE series of collaborations with some of the leading artists working at the intersection of art, science, and technology. A mind-bending journey through the infinite geometric patterns of fractal worlds, Geometric Properties takes us on an exploration from our recent past to an ideal future — one that returns to nature and math as a source for inspiration.
Commissioned for ARTECHOUSE NYC, Geometric Properties is the first solo exhibition of Horsthuis’ work in New York City. His previous work has been featured in the Academy Award-winning “Manchester by the Sea” (2016) and VFX-breakthrough film “Koning van Katoren” (2012), and he is known for his collaborations with visual artists Android Jones and musical artists like ODESZA, Meshuggah, and Birds of Paradise. Horsthuis considers his art – “a journey of discovery”, as he uncovers to the eye of the viewer the immensely unique fractal reality. Using fractals to create sci-fi type worlds is something of an outlier when it comes to visual art or motion graphics.
The installation features original soundtracks by Michael Stearns as well as David Levy. Original work from ARTECHOUSE’s creative team with Fractal Lab by Simon Alexander Adams and Corrugated Origami pieces exploring principles of fractals by Ray Schamp will be on display alongside Julius
Horsthuis’s focal piece.
COVID-19 SAFETY UPDATES & POLICIES
– Advance online bookings are required for specific entrance times to ensure a contactless check-in and safe capacity limits.
– Session capacity is limited so that at any given time it’s well below the suggested 50% capacity.
– Mandatory mask-wearing is required and enforced — yes, even for photos!
– Maintaining at least 6 feet distance from those not in your household is required and enforced. Floor markers and directional signage to help with this.
– Additional touchless hand sanitizing stations have been installed.
– Temperatures checked with a non-contact infrared thermometer prior to entry.
– Each day begins with a professional cleaning and sanitizing, and continuous, hourly maintenance.
– All staff are pre-screened and supplied with PPE.
– Rebookings are offered for any ticket holders feeling sick or experiencing any symptoms.
– On-site purchases must be made by credit card only.
Update: ARTECHOUSE is now full capacity
The Plug: ARTECHOUSE Geometric Properties is on view from March 1st to September 6th, 2021 at Chelsea Market (439 W 15th Street) HOURS: Sunday – Thursday 10am-9pm, Friday – Saturday 10am-10pm. Visits usually last for 45-60 minutes. Capacity is limited for all time slots. ADMISSION: Adults: $24, Children (Ages 4-15): $17, FREE for children under the age of 4, Students, Seniors, Military & First Responders: $20. Those purchasing discounted tickets will require proof of age or status. Preview Weekend is 30% OFF!
Bringing you the best things to do in NYC, this post contains affiliate links, at no additional cost to you.