Latest posts by FRANK
- Thanksgiving in NYC, without the Gobble or Squabble - November 14, 2019
- The Art of the Aperitivo: 6 NYC Spots You Gotta Try! - August 2, 2019
- Global Eats at the 14th Annual Vendy Awards - October 3, 2018
Food vendors from the five Boroughs representing a global buffet of deliciousness gathered on a sunny Autumn Saturday on Governor’s Island to compete at the 14th Annual Vendy Awards.
Attendees got to vote for their favorite vendors for a coveted People’s Choice award while Celebrity judges deliberated over the categories of Rookie of the Year, Market Vendor, Breakfast, Dessert, and the top prize of the Vendy Cup.
In addition to their abundant appetites, the celebrity judges brought a diverse group of life and work experiences to the table:
@kellychoi, an Emmy-winning food & lifestyle journalist and producer.
@marionnestle, Professor of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at New York University.
@jessicaramos a community organizer, activist and currently a candidate for the NY State Senate.
@samuelian,the President and CEO of the Trust for Governors Island, a non-profit organization charged with the planning, redevelopment.
@billtelepan , the Executive Chef of Oceana.
The event isn’t only about over- indulgence, there’s a charitable aspect as well. The Vendy’s also serve as a fundraiser for the Street Vendor Project, a membership-based non-profit organization that stands up for vendors’ rights while providing legal and small-business services.
Here’s a look at some of the vendors we indulged in:
The 2018 winner’s list:
- Rookie of the Year: Nansense, an Afghan comfort food truck in a city light in Afghani food options.
- Market Vendor: D’Abruzzo, Authentically Italian arrosticini (grilled lamb skewers)
- Breakfast: Mama Jo’s Breakfast Cart, Greek pastries are my kind of breakfast.
- Dessert: Baonanas, with creative takes on Banana Pudding
- People’s Choice: Queens Night Market faves Burmese Bites
- Vendy Cup champs: Royal Halal Grill a popular midtown street cart serving Bangladesh-inspired foods for over a decade
Congratulations to this year’s winners. Support your favorite local street food vendors and maybe you’ll see them at next year’s Vendy Awards too.
Follow Us on Instagram for more coverage!